Thursday, October 7, 2010

ARE YOU READY?

Last weekend, I was watching the Sunday Night football game between the Chicago Bears and the New York Giants. (I’m not picking sides…)

The starting quarterback for the Bears didn’t return for the second half – he had suffered a concussion. Second-string quarterback steps in…a whiplash tackle from behind…he’s out of the game.

OK, can you imagine what it felt like to be that THIRD-string quarterback on the sidelines? He threw a total of 7 passes all last season – yup…SEVEN! And now he’s warming up, getting ready to take the field.

Made me think…

Was he ready?

I’m sure when he suited up Sunday evening, he did not anticipate having to play.

But had he kept himself ready? Did he dedicate himself to playing his hardest in practice scrimmages, did he keep lifting weights, keeping himself in shape; did he listen to the coach, and continue to try to improve his skills?
Do you think he ever got discouraged?

In my women’s Bible Study, we’re learning about David. Did you know that it was 22 years from the time Samuel anointed him until he finally became King of Judah?

Did he ever feel like that third-string quarterback?

Did he try to rush God’s timing – or did he continue to faithfully do what God asked him to do? Did he complain under the yoke of preparation and training – or did he have faith that God was still working during that time? Did he give up – or did he persevere, knowing that God would fulfill His promises and purposes for his life?

I think we know the answers…

David was a mighty example of a faithful person.

He dedicated himself FULLY to whatever God was doing in his life…AT THAT TIME!

No wonder God called him a “man after His own heart!”

Sometimes God calls us to a season when it doesn’t seem like much is happening – a time when we feel like we’re sitting on the sidelines.
How do you react?

Are you like me? Have you ever prayed, “Lord, I’m ready. Why isn’t (fill in the blank) happening yet?”

How often do I begrudge the “training” seasons of my life? How often do I complain about “waiting?” How often do I get caught up in the mundane, and see no GRAND purpose in any of the small details of my everyday life?

How often do I wonder – Where is the great “break-through” in my life?

I’m a third-string quarterback…

But am I doing my best to stay in spiritual shape? Am I trusting God like David did?


Dear God,
Please help me to have the grace to “stand by” – knowing that the lessons I learn during times of waiting, will give me the courage to “step up” when You call. I want to be ready, at all times, and in all things. Teach me, train me, Lord, mold me into the person you want me to be – a person that can be used fully by You – for Your purposes. Even if I’m on the sidelines, show me how to “stay in the game” so when the RIGHT time comes along, I can say, “Put me in, Coach, I’m ready to play…”


Are you ready?



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    Thanks for sharing this perspective on being ready. I'm sure the Giants sensed a definite advantage when the third string quaterback trotted onto the field. No doubt, many Chicago Bear fans felt the situation was hopeless. Perhaps even Caleb Hanie felt overwhelmed by the circumstances.

    It makes me wonder how those rulers, powers, world forces of darkness, and spiritual forces of wickedness respond when I'm called upon. Do they lick their chops and laugh or do they tighten their chin straps?

    Warrior or worrier? The answer to that depends on my preparation and attitude for battle.

    Thanks for giving a perspective I've never considered.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that football analogy. I often feel like that third string quarterback...waiting to jump in the game. Thanks for the reminder to be ready. Maybe that's why we're (I'm) still waiting, because God knows I'm not ready. I need some more practice and preparation for the "Big Game".

    ReplyDelete
  3. David indeed did wait and didn't take the matter into his own hands,but I think he wrote a lot of his frustration out perhaps in some of psalms. But in the end he knew to wait and trust in the Lord and the Lord's timing. I think God does give us these testing times of waiting for us to continue to be prepared for when he knows it is the best time for us and like you said, we need to keep ourselves prepared, in the Word, in prayer,etc :)

    so, because I didn't catch this football game, did the Bears win?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your post Sharon, I couldn't help but think about the times that God called me forth and I was kicking and screaming saying nooooo, I'm not ready. But there are indeed some areas of my life I'm saying like David how long oh' Lord b/c I'm convinced that I'm ready. But God is the ultimate coach he knows when to push and when to keep us on the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon -

    I really enjoyed how you expressed this.

    The ten virgins in Matthew 25 come to mind.

    Scriptures from King James Bible:

    Matthew 25:1
    Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

    Matthew 25:2
    And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

    Matthew 25:3
    They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

    Matthew 25:4
    But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, Sharon. I hate the wait, and complain about how long? when will this ever happen? I guess I'd better start getting ready and keep up the training.

    Thanks for the teaching.

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  7. MTJ - You know, your comments are like a well-written post in themselves. Yeah, how DO those evil ones respond when I'm called upon? I LOVED how you continued the analogy - licking their chops or putting on their chin straps? "Warrior or worrier? The answer to that depends on my preparation and attitude for battle." This really spoke to me. I want to be a WARRIOR!! Thank YOU for giving me more to consider...(P.S. I'm thinking the only person more nervous than Caleb just might have been his mom!!)

    Denise - Glad you liked the analogy! I'm really trying to change my ideas about the "training" - to see the practice and preparation as important! My purpose is to glorify God, and that can be done WHILE IN TRAINING - with the people and circumstances of my everyday life!!

    Betty - I love David's example. He didn't take the matter into his own hands, but I agree with you - I think he did struggle, and he wasn't afraid to pour out his heart to God - the good, the bad, and the ugly. That encourages me. (No, the Bears got beat pretty badly - but that third-string quarterback? He did OK :)

    Wanda - Yes, you are so right! We humans - such weird creatures! We struggle when He calls, we complain when He doesn't!! Thank goodness, He is the Master of the Game, and His timing is always perfect!

    Sandra - Great, great verses - perfectly mesh in with the whole subject of preparation. Lord, give me the ability to always keep "oil in my lamp!"

    Janis - That's what I'm learning more and more - KEEP UP the training! Concentrate on what's important - (from today's one-year Bible reading: "...boast in this alone: that they truly KNOW me and UNDERSTAND that I am the LORD who demonstrates unfailing love..." (Jeremiah 9:24) That's what's important - KNOWING GOD!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)