Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ON A CAMPING TRIP

One of my favorite things in the world is camping…in a tent!

I had to add that last part – so you can be impressed with my pioneer-woman spirit!

It’s often cold, and dirty, and challengingbut you know what,
I LOVE IT!

“The Hub” always jokes that he should have been born in the 1800’s – it’s true, he should have been. He hates technology – all sorts. He got his first answering machine when we were “long-distance dating” in 2003!

Computer stuff, cell phones, HDTV – forget about it!

He would be perfectly content with a radio and smoke signals!!

But…he and I DO share a love for the great outdoors. Our souls seem to breathe better when we’re in the middle of nature. We love to hike and fish. We love a campfire under a great, starry sky.

The process of setting up camp requires several steps:

1) Pick a quiet (quiet, very important…) campsite
2) Unload ALL the gear
3) Put up the tent (try not to bump into each other or get frustrated over the
zippers that are sticking, or the ground that’s too hard for the tent stakes to
pound into…)
4) Put in the sleeping pads, sleeping bags, pillows, flashlights, etc.
5) Don’t forget the rain flap!

You know what I think is VERY COOL?!

It's the analogy Scripture uses for our earthly bodies. It calls them “tents.”

When we’re camping, our tent becomes our home. It keeps us warm on nights that become bitterly cold. It guards us from the elements – wind and rain. It even protects us from animals that wander around in the night. It’s a comfortable, cozy place to be.

But, even though our tent provides us shelter, and we like being in it, we never forget our true home waiting for us at the end of our journey.

And there comes a day when it is finally time to go home.

“The Hub” and I remove the rain flap, take out the tent stakes, empty it, untie the stabilizing loops, and pull out the metal supports. And you know what?! That tent flattens to the ground in a moment. We fold it up carefully, pack it away, and head home.

That’s what I believe Scripture is trying to show us. These bodies are just tents, temporary dwelling places away from our real home with God in eternity.

“For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God HimselfSo we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord.” (2 Corinthians 5:1, 6)

There is a home waiting for us – a place to dwell with God FOREVER!

AMEN!!


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon -

    Yes, Amen

    The kingdom of GOD is now!

    Matthew 6:10 (KJV)
    ...Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

    Hebrews 11:10
    For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your new blog look Sharon! I loved this with the camping tents and our body tents; great analogy! and I truly admire you for enjoying camping and knowing how to put up a tent! awesome!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    I've never been camping (I'm a citified urbanite), but I get the analogy; it's a good one. One of these days, I'll pull up my stakes and head for home. Until then, I'll use this tent for its designed purpose.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, I love your analogy and gift for the word picture.

    And as usual, I have my silly pants on today, though.

    And I just want to say that when I go HOME, I hope this raggedy old oversized Omar creation does't come along as junk in the trunk. I'm hoping for a Glorified one of the pup tent size.

    Just totally kidding.
    Great post, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra - The Kingdom of God is NOW! What true words, and how thrilling!! I really liked the verse from Hebrews - another great word picture - we are buildings built on the foundation of God.

    Betty - Thanks for your comment (what did you like about the new look?!) Yeah, I'm sorta proud of my camping skills, too! And I really like this analogy. Somehow it makes death seems so much less scary - it's just relocating to my TRUE home!!

    MTJ - Mr. City Urbanite, eh?! No flannel shirts and down jackets for you? :) Thanks for adding the extra thought - using the tent for its designed purpose! That was good - because it made me think of what tents actually ARE made for. They are made to be TEMPORARY. And yet, they have important purposes. God also uses us, even in our temporary bodies, for His purposes. May I be open to His leading while I'm "away from home!"

    Debbie - You crack me up! According to my sources, Omar doesn't work in Heaven, so we get to leave the "junk" :)
    Glad you liked the word picture!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)