Tuesday, October 19, 2010

WHICH WAY TO TURN?

I was driving home the other day, and came upon an interesting intersection…

Turn to the right, and you went into a church’s parking lot – turn to the left, and you went into a building materials lot.

The street signs?

“Purpose Drive” and “Rocky Road”

Isn’t that the truth?!

I got thinking about that. We all come to that intersection at some point in our lives. Which way will we turn?

The initial decision happens when we choose (or don’t) to believe in the atoning work of Jesus Christ.

But in our walk as believers, we often come to this “crossroads” in our faith journey. Do we follow our own way, or do we follow God?

We may think that it’s “smooth sailing” if we go our own way. It doesn’t really matter, because the road ends up in Heaven, right? But that wrong turn truly leads us down “Rocky Road” – a drive full of potholes, detours, and road hazards every mile we go. We drive along…we drive on our own power.

Wonder why so many believers are defeated, discouraged, and depressed? Maybe they’ve chosen to travel down “Rocky Road.”

But what if we turn the other way?

What if we turn down “Purpose Drive”?

God promises us meaning and purpose in life.

Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you…They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

I’d love to tell you that “Purpose Drive” is an easy, scenic drive.

But even that road is a little bumpy from time to time –

But the good news is this – we will not be driving on our own power. We’ve got the Holy Spirit guiding us. And He’s a great driver!!

He doesn’t get lost. He knows how to negotiate the curves. Sometimes He slows down, and sometimes He speeds up – at just the right time – because He sees the road ahead. His wisdom steers us straight.

So, I gotta ask you –

What are you going to do when you come to those intersections on your faith journey – which way will you turn?

“Purpose Drive” or “Rocky Road?”


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

8 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sharon,

    I'm going to drive down Purpose Drive. I've been down Rocky Road and it's NOT pretty! lol

    What a great post. It's amazing how God gives us articles to write about based on His revelation in our daily lives. This is an awesome post! Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed day.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    Such a good topic you discuss in this post..."What are you going to do when you come to those intersections on your faith journey – which way will you turn?"

    I think our decisions which invariably take us down Rocky Road are because we are carried away in an effort to gratify sinful desires. James writes, "but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed." -- I've found this to be true in my life.

    I confess to God that I'm incapable of making the right decisions on my own, I need the wisdom, direction and guidance of the Holy Spirit continually; otherwise I fall prey to my own selfish greed.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, Sharon! Don't we always think we know better, and choose the Rocky Rd? I've probably done that more times than I can keep track of. Someone once described life as a parade. We're looking out a window as it goes by, but God sees the entire parade, from start to finish. I say...let God direct the parade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon -

    Thank you...this is a well "spoken" story!

    Those street names - so interesting that they intersect...

    For some reason this scripture passage comes to my mind - from 1 Kings 18:21, "...How long halt ye between two opinions: if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him."

    And Exodus 32:26
    Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the Lord's side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cute with those two roads' names! I've been on Rocky Roads too much; I'm trying to stay on Purpose Drive as much as I can and allow Him to chart my course; he does it soooo much more better than I do :)

    (we got tons of rain today with thunder storms :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been down Rocky Road. I would rather avoid it! Not only is it uncomfortable, it does a number on the vehicle.

    I was watching Kay Arthur recently, and she said it so simply: We don't know God's will because we don't bother to look.

    I think so often we turn in the wrong direction for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy - God does reveal Himself in our everyday lives. I'm sooo glad He does! I just pray that He'll keep my eyes open to see Him! And you're right - Rocky Road, NOT pretty!

    MTJ - I totally agree with your assessment of the reason we turn down Rocky Road - our own sinful desires. Yes, it's been true in my life, too. We are incapable of being wise enough to make the right decisions, to go in the right direction, on our own. I am reminded of the verse that says:
    "The human heart is the most deceitful of all things...Who really knows how bad it is? But I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives." (Jeremiah 17:9, 10)
    That's why I need the Holy Spirit's wisdom - He alone knows my truth.

    Deborah Ann - Yes, I have also thought (all too often!) that I know "better" than God which way to go, or what to do. I'm trying to learn to trust and obey Him better! I like the parade analogy. God sees the whole picture.

    Sandra - GREAT Scripture references!! Who is on the Lord's side? I am! The Lord is GOD, so I will follow Him!

    Betty - Yeah, I got a kick out of those two signs too!! Allowing God to chart our course - not always easy, but the only way to go! I know that you have a big move coming up - and I know that you're trusting Him to guide each moment. I'm thinking of you...
    (p.s. Goodness!!! We had terrible weather here, too. And I had to drive to the beach and back in it!! The boys and I used to call weather like this "Ark Weather!")

    Debbie - Yeah, the vehicle does take a beating. And you're right about not looking. In my ACTUAL driving, I've made some dumb mistakes by not paying attention. Spiritually, the same thing can happen. Love the quote from Kay Arthur. I have just started a Bible Study on the life of David that features Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, and Kay Arthur. I have never heard Kay Arthur speak, so I'm excited about that!

    MY FRIENDS - I have also turned down Rocky Road - got a speeding ticket, had a rear-ender, ran out of gas, and drove into a ditch. BUT, the wonderful thing is this: GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS!! The Spirit has led me back to Purpose Drive - praise God!!

    BLESSINGS TO YOU ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sharon -

    I love your statement,"GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS!!"
    ...and your clincher, "The Spirit has led me back to Purpose Drive - praise God!!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)