Saturday, October 30, 2010

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)

"Jesus regards money as a comparatively low form of power...by the right use of which a man may prepare himself to be trusted with higher forms of power.

Money is in some sense "another's." It is certain to go to others after its present possessor's death. If its present possessor has not learned to use it in a friendly way, how can a conscientious God trust him with some more permanent form of power?

Money, because of the material things it can buy, the political influence and the social prestige that its possession facilitates, becomes an efficient minister to selfishness, and therefore a great enemy to friendliness. The remedy is to begin to use it, as soon as one has even a little of it, in friendly ways."

(From "Christ in Everyday Life" by Edward Increase Bosworth, c. 1910)


"If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones...And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven?...No one can serve two masters...You cannot serve both God and money." (Luke 16:10-13)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

7 comments:

  1. Sharon, thought provoking. Thanks for posting on this topic of money. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those last two lines the author wrote. In the world money is often thought to be the ultimate power but Christ using it to show us our readiness or unreadiness of managing true treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know money can be a funny thing - you can't live with it and can't live without it - can't have too much or too litte. One of those things God gives us - to see what we will do with it.

    love,
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. JBR - WELCOME! Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed today's "Quaint Words."

    Wanda - I agree. I thought it was a very powerful ending. Yes, Christ can use money to show "what we're made of" - to find where our "treasure" lies. (P.S. I went on over and played "tag.")

    Sandie - Money is tricky. I guess I am reminded of this verse:
    "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." (Luke 12:48)

    May we always commit our wallets to the Lord, as well as our hearts.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,
    I really liked the ideas woven here about the Scripture verse. Never thought of the Lord measuring how much he will entrust to us based on how we handle money. I will definitely be more careful!

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janis - These "quaint words" really spoke to me, too. Money is a tricky subject. I just want to be faithfully generous with what God gives, and trust Him to provide for me, too!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)