Monday, October 11, 2010

THE PROMISED LAND - Or Bust!

Happy Columbus Day!

WHAT?!?! You’re telling me you didn’t know?

Yes, “…in fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue…”

OK, put aside all the controversies over whether he was the FIRST explorer to step foot on America’s shores…

I’ve just got to give “old Chris” a round of applause for his courage!!!

To take off for parts unknown, to sail to a “new land,” to not know exactly when or how you were going to get there – or if you’re ever coming back. To my sensibilities, that spells BRAVE!!

I am reminded of another brave soul – one who journeyed into distant, unfamiliar lands…

ABRAHAM.

God called – and he obeyed.


Here’s the account in the Bible:

“The LORD had said to (Abraham), “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation”…So (Abraham) departed as the LORD had instructed…[he] was seventy-five years old when he left Haran.”

What tremendous faith Abraham had in God’s word, in His promises!

He moved out into parts unknown, traveling to a distant land, not knowing exactly when or how he was going to get there – but he was trusting God for guidance, and relying on His faithfulness to accomplish His purposes.

How difficult...

The Bible doesn’t record any dialogue between God and Abraham regarding that initial call to leave. I wonder. Was Abraham immediately willing? Did he struggle with the decision? Did he protest that he was too old to make such a journey? How did he tell Sarah? How did the family react?

But, the important FACT remains.

Abraham had to decide between the security of home and family, and the uncertainty of traveling under God’s direction.

He chose GOD.

And his faith-full decision affected the course of the history of the world. Because through his obedience, God blessed all of humanity with the gift of His Son, our Savior!

Where is God calling us to go? Is it into a “new land” of greater service for Him? Are we willing to go…or not?

I can think of a million excuses why I CAN’T follow where God leads sometimes…

Are your excuses like mine?

“I’m too old.”
“I’m afraid.”
“I don’t have the time.”
“I don’t know what to say or do.”
“What if I fail?”
“I’m comfortable doing what I’m doing now.”
“Can’t someone else go?”

What about my favorite?

“Lord, I’m NOT Abraham!!”

Oh Lord, increase my faith!!

We must not let the security of our present position make us miss out on God’s plan for us. We must learn to trust, to be obedient, to be courageous…

…and to be willing to GO!

“And Abram (Abraham) believed the LORD, and the LORD counted him as righteous because of his faith.” (Genesis 15:6)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

4 comments:

  1. so totally agree, Sharon; this is when that trust issue comes in that we have to remember he will only lead us to whatever is best for us and his purpose and his glory and his kingdom being advanced. Got to admire Abraham for his willingness to obey :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Sharon. I just finished Life Unhindered by Jennifer Kennedy Dean. In it, she speaks of Abram being unhindered by attachments to what he "knew". That is such a hindrance for me. I tend to be fearful or at the least cautious of the unknown. I want to be more like Abram and go to places unknown.

    And I want to lead, as she puts it, an "altared" life as well. She reminds how every step of the way, he went from altar to altar.

    Anyway... since I'm fresh from reading that book, this post just reminded me of that.

    Trying to catch up on reading too. If you look up "whirling dervish" in the encyclopedia this week, you'll see my picture.

    Maybe I could use a Sharon Devotional on SLOWING DOWN???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings -

    Yes, the just shall live by faith and Abraham believed GOD and it was accounted to him as righteousness.

    Lord, please help us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty - Yeah, I really DO admire Abraham. I especially appreciate his obedience at an older age. I don't adjust to changes as easily as I used to when I was younger. So, a move of this magnitude took great faith indeed!

    Debbie - Sounds like a great book - I'll have to check it out. I really like that idea of living an "altared" life! Moving from one altar (where we lay down our expectations, our fears, our control) to another, as we advance along the path where God is leading.
    (p.s. I also looked up "running like a chicken with its head cut off" - your picture was there, too!! I'm going to think of something to say about "slowing down.")

    Sandra - Lord, help us all! AMEN! Isn't it wonderful, though, how God honors our steps of FAITH - even if they're baby steps!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)