Saturday, October 16, 2010

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


"Suffering, then, constitutes no reason for doubting the existence close at hand of a good God...A being good enough to suffer with advancing life and all the woes of his human children is good enough to be called God...The fountains of laughter and tears are near together in the life of both God and man...

(The following lines are said to have been found on the wall of a room in a hospital):

The cry of man's anguish went up to God,
Lord, take away the pain!
The Shadow that darkens the world Thou hast made;
The close coiling chain
That strangles the heart; the burden that weighs
On the wings that should soar -
Lord, take away pain from the world Thou hast made
That it love Thee the more!
Then answered the Lord to the cry of the world,
Shall I take away pain,
And with it the power of the soul to endure,
Made strong by the strain?
Shall I take away pity that knits heart to heart
And sacrifice high?
Will ye lose all your heroes that lift from the fire
White brows to the sky?
Shall I take away love that redeems with a price
And smiles at its loss?
Can ye spare from your lives that would cling unto Mine
The Christ on His cross?"

(From "What It Means to be a Christian" by Edward Increase Bosworth,
c. 1922)



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These are beautiful words and exactly what I needed to read this morning. I love the insight that we are made strong through strain. This can make difficulty times a little more bearable!

    Thank you for sharing these gems you find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa - Thanks! The thought "we are made strong through strain" reminds me of your recent post about stretching! I gained so much insight from that. No pain, no gain - seems like that happens in our spiritual lives, too!! :) I just LOVE these old books - I'm glad you understand that they truly are GEMS!!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)