Saturday, October 9, 2010

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


Christ whispers.

"Seek no rights. Judge every one's motives to be noble and true and great. Every wrong and injustice make you dearer to Me. The more you are hidden, unappreciated, unnoticed, the more truly do I take up My abode in you and value every act you perform and notice the slightest effort to be good...

Strive to be spiritual. It is for this you are a follower of Me. Many things will attract you more than the spiritual life, everything else is easier, than the spiritual life, but be courageous to set them all aside, and little by little the interior life will absorb you, will satisfy you, and you will long for nothing else. All this means great effort and an amount of suffering, but I am with you. I stand by your side, My child, unseen tis true, but ever strengthening, guiding, and encouraging.

The time will not be long before you shall see my smile of approval and hear my words of love unending, and enjoy the happiness of eternal life."

(From "Spiritual Pastels" by J.S.E., c. 1918)



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

4 comments:

  1. "The more you are hidden, unappreciated, unnoticed, the more truly do I take up My abode in you and value every act you perform and notice the slightest effort to be good."

    This part speaks to me this morning. I love this one and the call to strive for the spiritual life. I love how the author *he or she, I can't tell* admits that EVERYTHING is easier than the spritual life.

    It's true. Everything is easier but nothing is better.

    Now, I need to go read how the others fanned the Friday flame. I always love the comments on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is powerful, true and beautiful Sharon. Sadly many don't see the truth of it... they prefer to believe the Christian life is all about being blessed and comfortable. Blessing will come but often it is not fully recognised in the form it can come in. Suffering for example. It is a blessing but many see it as a curse or attack. Suffering leads us closer to Him and deals with our flesh, therefore it is indeed a blessing.

    Thank you for posting such a thought-provoking post. I loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie - Such true words..."Everything is easier, but nothing is better." I really liked how you put that! And it is so good to know that He stands alongside us, and He values what we do for Him!
    I'm glad you like the Friday-flame-fanning. I enjoy reading everyone's responses, too. They always seem to expand my thoughts on a particular word or concept. So interesting!
    (p.s. I sent you an email yesterday - would love to hear from you!)

    Amanda - Really enjoyed what you said here. Very insightful. Suffering does have a mysterious purpose, I'm convinced. I believe that God accomplishes something huge when we patiently trust Him during suffering. I agree, there are many people that wrongly think the Christian life guarantees blessing and comfort. But Jesus Himself told us that IN THIS LIFE we would have struggles. The blessing and comfort lies in the fact that we have a HOPE beyond THIS LIFE!!

    Glad you guys enjoyed this post. I do so love these "quaint words" myself!

    GOD BLESS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Debbie - Re: Yesterday's post - I'm with you. I really enjoy being able to "see" a concept. I think that's why I'm always trying to think of "word pictures." Just seems to solidify something for me.

    AND YES! I was leaning toward "surprise" myself!! So, I think I've come up with a good compromise.

    AND DON'T STOP BEING A KID!!! God LOVES the child-like... :)

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)